The NTrainer System® is to be used with developmental feeding programs when the infant can benefit from early and frequent nippling opportunities that coordinate suck, swallow and breathe functions
NTrainer System promotes early development of essential non-nutritive sucking (NNS) skills in newborns and infants born prematurely. The system helps caregivers in neonatal and pediatric intensive care units to better understand how to treat infants with feeding challenges and better treat these infants to improve outcomes.
The therapy can be administered during gavage feeding sessions or before breast or bottle feeding using a patented rhythmic pneumatic pulsations of a pacifier hand-set system
The device is the easy-to-use for clinicians in a neonatal care setting and can be used cribside system for neuromuscular intervention to entrain an infant for effective NNS patterns.
The system tracks the infant's development state by determining the status of the infant's NNS skills - an essential skill for nutritive feeds.
NTrainer NNS assessments generate data-driven reports that can integrate into a hospital EMR. The reports enable the physician, therapist or nurse to manage feeding protocols, improve discharge planning, enhance patient safety and reduce NICU cost of care.
NTrainer System is an FDA Class II BioFeedback device
- Assessment - recommended for all NICU patients
- 3-minute assessment can be given for NNS progression every 2 to 3 days as soon as possible after >28 weeks GA
- Therapy - recommended 3x per day for 10 days as soon as possible after >30 weeks GA
- Given when infant is in an organized, self-regulated state up to 20-minutes
Infant populations needing skill development include:
- Assessment of infants born as early as 28 weeks GA
- Treatment of infants as early as 30 weeks GA
- Any infant with poor NNS skills